I suggest you ...

Allow for planned transfers between opportunities

For example.

We own twenty lights

Ten lights are on job A. Job A ends on Monday, de-rigs on Tuesday and is back to the warehouse on Wednesday.

All twenty lights are needed for Job B. Job B rigs on Tuesday...

What we do in real life is this, the warehouse preps the ten remaining lights and sends them to site on Tuesday. We also get a courier or technician to transport the ten lights from Job A to the New Job at B...

Current shows this as a BIG CLASH and for the whole of tuesday and wednesday we appear to be ten lights short.

Also, the warehouse never get the ten lights back from Job A, caution confusion when they try to scan things back in.

What would be good would be an option on an item to say that that item specifically was going to be transferred on a given date/time to a new opportunity. You'd select the opportunity in this option as well, and it could even add it to the list for you. In availability view there would be some form of colour or visual indicator that showed the planned transfers.

Anybody else got any thoughts on this?

670 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Drew Holmes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Planned transfers between opportunities would be a great addition to Current. Your comments here are fantastic and really help us understand why you’d like to see this added to Current and how it could work – thanks!

Across all of our customer channels, building a purchasing module is the most popular feature request so we prioritized this. Now we’ve got the first phase of purchasing released in beta, planned transfers is next up from the wishlist.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting for so long – we’ve not forgotten that so many of you find this important. We’ll be back as soon as we’ve got more information to share.

90 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kevin Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very Much something we would use - we have kits at festival sites that quite often go from one to the other without coming back to the office.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something we are interested in getting too, as the shortages warnings are causing issues as people either ignore them or pay too much attention to them.

• Melanie Watts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be super! I need it now! We are often picking up gear from one job to take to another that is already in progress.

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are new to Current and this is one feature we really really need in our workflow. I really hope this feature can become a reality soon!

• Brian O'Neal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could someone from Current please give us an update on this? I ran into this today... again! We have 6 shows over a 1 week period and need gear to flow from one show to another. Some of it never even comes back to the shop but is trucked to the next location. I have created a field in the database called Quick Turn for these items but just like today... I missed one and it went on the wrong truck. I think if we could at least get some feedback from the Admins of the wishlist that would at least tell us what is going on. Top request going on at least 2 years now...

My head hurts from all the quick turns and hot shots we are doing over this one week period and this is just the start of our busy months.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is the comment I added in "Bulk store transfer":

I posted the same thing on the "Bulk Store Transfer" suggestion - we have 6 locations within the same city, and need to 1) Add products to multiple opportunities in the future from any location and 2)Move products among those among locations, from kits to accessories, many times weekly. It's an important aspect of our business model, it's trivial for us to move products in the real world in our business, tedious and time-consuming in Current RMS, to the point that we may choose another solution. It's a shame, we like so many features of Current RMS.

I just voted and commented on "Bulk Store Transfer" and bulk location transfer - I think this is related - you might want to check the comments there too - we need ways to move gear directly from one place to another without going back to a 'home' Store or Location. This is critical to our business model. Thank you.

So currently the 623 Votes on this suggestion are only 67 Votes short of the total combined votes of the 3 suggestions that have already started development.

So 621 Votes and the idea was posted on Jun 4 2016.

Last update from current is that the idea is under review since Dec 13 2017

Currently under "HOT IDEAS" we have a post that has 64 Votes and was posted July 17 2018 (We would like a ‘recalculate’ type button that updates ALL product information on existing orders")

Latest update from Current on FEB 19 2019 is that they started working on this hot idea

Can someone tell what is the point of this wish list system? This Transfer feature is the leading feature requested by your paying customers by 164 Votes. This is a joke

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi David,

Scanning a sheet of barcodes is an absolutely terrible idea. This provides absolutely no help to getting large amounts of kit directly from one job to another with the knowledge they are complete and have actually transferred.

I agree with Drew that transfer is the correct word, whether the kit goes from store to store or opportunity to opportunity, this is what is happening. To just scan a sheet of barcodes completely undermines the concept of a well managed rental system and is not something I would ever consider, and certainly not actually put into practice.

Or perhaps I could cut the warehouse staff down a bit and rely on luck and a ring binder of barcodes... maybe not though. I still readily await this much needed feature.

Happy to debate any thoughts on how this feature could be implemented, however I maintain it's a process that can't currently (no pun intended) be managed correctly and needs to be developed as part of the software.

Jack

• drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to provoke conversation, and I'll happily disagree.

I can pay monkeys to stand around and scan sheets of A4 paper... I'd rather they actually checked the kit and scanned the barcodes stuck to them, otherwise its luck/hope that the kit will actually be transferred. (I stick with the word transfer, lots of other people seem to understand it fine).

In the case of a large opportunity, for example a large video wall kit, I could be talking about 6-700 individual barcodes that need to be scanned "in" and then "out" again to truly reflect the state of where kit is. That would be a hell of a ring binder of A4 sheets.

More fundamentally I'm looking for a forward planning tool. I may have ten project managers planning opportunities at the same time, and at the moment there's no clear record that "Bob" has agreed that "Dave" can have six speakers put on a courier and transferred across London, "Charlie" might also be hoping to use the same six speakers.

We do occasionally use the two work arounds you suggest, however this is hideously clunky when we're juggling busy periods which already have twenty or more concurrent opportunities, splitting into extra lists just muddies the water.

Happy to clear up any misunderstanding.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If your dates dont overlap, you wont show a shortage. If you are rolling barcodes, and the fake shortage is disturbing your sleep. You have two possible work flows.

Work around #1:
    Set the new opportunity for 1 minute after the former opportunity is scheduled to return.

Work around #2:
    Have a primary opportunity for gear that is available and not needed to roll. Make a secondary new opportunity that catches anything that needs to roll and set book out for 1 minute after the former opportunity returns.

I just rolled 30 pieces of equipment using my custom made A4 barcode form (roll sheet). The process took about 4 minutes to roll barcodes from one opportunity to the next. All you need to do is make a custom form and build yourself a barcode sheet that has all the pertinent bar codes on one page. Making the custom form took me about 10 minutes. Its super easy.

• Harry Butcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's also not ideal as the product will show as a shortage until it has been moved across.. I like your work around though!

Hey David.
    Yes in theory it can be done. I actually have a custom discussion that I can use to email our all the missing kit from jobs that has not been returned.
    The problem with an A4 sheet is you need to copy paste or if you program it with barcodes then you still need to scan it. It’s a step in the right direction. But not all the way there.
    I know they have this on the list but don’t think it’s super high on the list though.

What this person is asking for can be done now. No need to make a feature if it already exists.

Drew Holmes, who started this request, has used the term “transfer” in an incorrect way. A transfer is a movement of gear in between stores.

A movement of gear directly between opportunities is a different process I would call “rolling barcodes from one opportunity to the next”.

What this person is asking for can be done now.

Step #1: Make a custom form to place all the barcodes from an opportunity onto an A4 sheet of paper.
    Step #2: Use the A4 barcode sheet to check in one opportunity
    Step #3: Use the same A4 barcode sheet to book out the next opportunity.

BAM! Done! Easy!

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another year has passed since the last Admin response. Despite the exceeding popularity of this suggestion we are not even at the ‘planned’ stage it seems. Any chance of a response in the near future Current team? I’m sure plenty of the suggesters would have opinions on how exactly the feature would work if help is needed to progress this further. It’s still a lacking feature that is making life exceeding difficult for us.

• Matt Rogerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@drew - yep if you want to keep track of assets I guess you could just scan into two browser windows? Then global check back in - that's lots of clicks though ... You could asset scan onto the 1st job then group load the matching quantity for the following jobs - but then you would have to go back through to match up the returns ...
    Elegant solution would be good though ... I'm not sure we have given a definitive "it should do this" for the programmers - hopefully they are working with other users to develop it ...

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base