Will there be an option to use rfid chips with the software soon?
RFID is essentially a contactless bar code. While we’ve not tested any RFID readers with Current, you can use the system with most readers that operate as “keyboard wedges”. Provided the RFID reader takes an asset number from the RFID tag and translates that into key strokes, it should work with Current RMS.
You can test this in the Opportunity Detail View when allocating assets. Some RFID tags may be able to store additional information that can be written to — this will not be accessible in Current RMS.
Dax Talbert commented
Hi Everyone, I had a friend that was at the LDI show and there was a company who had a booth there with RFID scanners. He was showing how he could scan an entire road case at once and all cables/items inside popped up on the software. He then asked the person to take 2 cables out and he re scanned the road case and was able to tell which two cables got pulled. Pretty cool! Would make it easier then scanning every bar code on products. Excited to see how this progresses. :)
I have been working on researching an RFID solution with Current and would like to share my findings and issues in the case that there is someone else out there that might be able to shed some light on this.
WHAT WE HAVE DONE:
- We demo'ed a Zebra RFID Sled / Scanner (https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/rfid/rfid-handhelds/rfd8500.html)
- We requested and received 10 test RFID tags and created text products with the unique codes as the asset numbers.
- We programmed the sled to 'delineate' the tags using the command 'Enter' as that is what Current support told us the Current system is architected to delineate between the asset number by using the 'enter' command.
WHAT WE FOUND
- We were not able to get it to scan more than one tag into Current at a time. We tried programming the sled ourselves and we had the zebra support team (not the sharpest tools in the shed) to build a file that we uploaded... neither were successful.
- We are going to demo two more handheld RFID scanners to see if we can get them to work with Current.
- We are assuming that Current can rapidly take unlimited amounts of asset numbers at once as long as they are delineated by a 'enter' command. This may be a false assumption.
- If none of these scanners work directly with Current, then we will probably have to speak to a developer to build some middleware in between the sled's software and Current's API to facilitate a solution, but we are hopeful that such an intensive effort is not required to utilize an RFID solution with Current.
So that is where our heads are at. If anyone knows more than we do, please share your comments here so we can leverage the community's knowledge.
John Hughes commented
Using A RFID system to track inventory and prep a rental without having to select them all individually. Anything in this area yet?
Armando Villalta commented
I think it can work if you input 1 item at a time because rfid is like keyboard wedges just like Michael said but not many rfid tags at the same time.
Very interested in this topic...mostly for bulk product like cables where they could pass through rfid scanner and count them automatically.. any advance on this? Would really appreciate any reply.
I saw this video on youtube from another software, maybe we can get this to current in the future, would be great!
As a fully cloud based solution, Current is compatible with a wide range of devices so it’s difficult to provide specific recommendations on scanners. We’ve not tested RFID scanners with Current, but there’s no reason that they shouldn’t work provided they operate as “keyboard wedges” and they’re compatible with the device you’re running Current RMS on.
Let us know how you get on – we’d be interested to hear :)
I'm also very interested in this. Has anyone had any success utilizing RFID?
Do you have any suggested resources to investigate which RFID readers might work with Current?
For bulk and non-stock products, you can set a barcode against the product. Scanning that barcode will allocate, prep, book out, or check-in the quantity you’ve specified of the product. Edit a bulk or non-stock product to set the barcode number.
A workshop module is on the roadmap! We’re working through ideas on the wishlist in order of popularity, but it’s something that we hope to add.
Sash Pochibko commented
This is a very interesting concept for us too. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of any RFID technology kit / suppliers / systems integrators to report on?
I am still in the early days of researching.
Does anyone know with regard to Current RMS and barcode scanning - do products in CRMS have to be 'Serialised' individually (so a different barcode number for every item) or can there be one barcode for 16a 10m cables and another for 16a 20m cables for example?
Ideally thinking of our implementation we would want RFID Technology to translate 50x RFIDs passing through a sensor into 50 ticks of the check out qty box.
I think it would be unnecessary for Current RMS to log the fact that 16a 10m cable 000345 left the building rather than 000346.... unless of course there is plan for future PAT testing data logging integration into CRMS!!??
Matt Fry commented
I'm wondering about this as well.